Monday, January 20, 2014

Jam Anyone?

Over the spring/summer I bought fruit when it would go on sale. Blueberries and raspberries were one of many fruits where I did this, especially when they were 75% off or buy one get one free. We then froze them much like we freeze green peppers.  We told ourselves that when it wasn't as hot, when we had more time we would make jam.
One afternoon of work.
Well that day finally came and today we canned and canned and canned. Pooka was our little helper, never really leaving our side (except while her friend was here to play) in her little Mommy's helper apron and her chef's hat. She would hand us tools and ingredients. When we would start pouring things into the jars, Pooka would man the hot water bath in the sink, handing us warmed rings and jars for me to fill. She loves doing this and spending the time with Mommy and Daddy.  Pooka looked at me and said "I love doing this with you, and I hope I get to do it when I am older with my kids."

We made spiced blueberry jam from the book Food in Jars by Marisa McClellan. This has become one of my favorite go to books. This blueberry jam has a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg in it. We decided to try something new with this recipe.
Spiced Blueberry Jam
The other batch of blueberry jam we made previously that I know Brother will like. He loved having this in his lunches last year and is super excited that it will be in his lunches again.
Blueberry Jam
The third batch was another new recipe of Raspberry jam, also from the Food in Jars book. I tasted a small bit while it was till hot and while it was HOT. It tasted really good. Daddy tasted it and said he might need to start having toast in the mornings so he can eat good jam. That is high praise from him.
Raspberry Jam 
All in all, Daddy and I walk away knowing that A) Pooka is learning to do something for herself and B) both of them will have a healthy homemade part of the lunches at least until we can get the garden producing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment