Thursday, July 18, 2013

New friends

The other day I was sitting on the porch and I noticed some odd looking little black shapes on the dill. You can almost make them out, there were caterpillars on the dill plant. They were little black ones with a white stripe. I wanted to save our dill plant, but I also wanted to save the caterpillars. I had Pooka run and get her bug house. There were 3 in all, and we placed them and some dill in the bug house. Pooka wants to raise them. I figure since we already have the habitat, why not.
 
We have since found a green one on a sage plant (I am pretty sure its a cabbage moth, but she wants to save it since that sage leaf was about to be blanched for dehydrating). Looks like Pooka will be raising more caterpillars this summer. Anything to have pollinators. Too bad at this stage they are more trouble in the garden. But if they are contained, I can feed them only what I want them to eat, which is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment