Saturday, September 15, 2012

A Mystery

Yesterday, Pooka, Grandma M, and I were outside (Kiddo was having Kiddo time inside) and while Grandma and Pooka were playing, I was looking at the very neglected garden. I went to grab a cucumber when Pooka yelled "Mommy, why are there sunflowers on my swing set?"


 I figured she found a seed or too that a bird had grabbed. I went over and found that there was a seed on the stairs, not a big deal. Until I climbed the stairs... and saw the rest.



Now I am really confused about what would be taking whole sunflowers a good 30+ feet and eating them on the swing set. I mean, first it has to pick the flower, get it off the ground, go OVER a fence, fly/carry it another 30+ feet, then take it up another 6ft to get to the top of the slide, but we also found remains another 30+" above that on a railing on the swing set. Based on the pieces, its taking whole flowers.
So what could be doing this. I don't really know. I did confirm today we do have another burrow of bunnies nearby (I found one in the cucumbers while doing the morning harvest, he was still a young one since he hid under leaves), but bunnies would't be getting sunflowers when cucumbers and tomatoes are closer to the ground. I know we have had a raccoon in the area before, but again, that seems alot of work for something that could stay on the safer side of the fence. I did wonder briefly if one of the few hawks we have nearby (we have a wooded area 2 blocks from our house) decided to lay a trap for goldfinches, but that may be a bit of a stretch. 

I don't know what it could be. I did remove the ladder yesterday (it's an old swingset and the ladder was about to give). I may never know what did it, but I am very curious. Pooka just got mad something was eating HER sunflowers and that it left a mess in HER swingset. I am going to have to keep a better eye on that swingset and see if I can find out what has been so hungry.  What do you think it could be?

No comments:

Post a Comment