Wednesday, September 12, 2012

To cut or not to cut....

After the success of the first strawberry experiment, you will remember we went on to experiment on if we should cut the tendrils or not.  Now the second experiment, was mostly because we had too many tendrils (which I recently learned I can prune) and both containers were getting a bit crowded.

Well the results were in a bit ago. I just forgot to get them on here. First off, the cut tendril. Here is what it looks like now. 

Not a failure, but rather a Good to know moment

It's dead. I know you don't think you can see it, but the plant is there. If you look in the bottom right corner you can see the dried leaves. Obviously, this didn't work too well. But now I know for future, and as I explained to Pooka, a failure in science is just as valuable as a success.

The traditional transplant, also known as do not cut the tendril until the plant is well rooted, did much better. So much better in fact that I  gave it to the neighbor that it was suppose to go to. Now I know I forgot to take a picture of it, but I promised that it was looking really good and that it was ready to spread out beyond that small pot. I know the neighbor had plans to replant it into something larger.

So instead I will show you a picture of Brother's strawberries from the original experiment. I still haven't seen much in the way of blooms on it, but I have a feeling next spring/summer we may have quite a few berries coming in from all the plants.

Look how big it has gotten. 



No comments:

Post a Comment