Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Peppers and more peppers

So this year, we were not getting much yield out of our pepper plants. It took forever to get 2 peppers, and we hadn't seen much else in the terms of fruit. I wasn't too upset, but it annoyed me. If it is one thing we eat around here, its cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers and I had a huge garden, why did I still have to buy peppers at the store.

One day I was wandering around the interwebz (as I am prone to do) and quite literally followed a link to a link to a link that said how to boost pepper production. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I bought a new spray bottle, added a small amount of epsom salt and some water and sprayed it before we left for our vacation.

Upon our return, we saw so many flowers and young fruit floating around. The directions said to spray it again after 2 weeks, so I did.  Imagine our surprise when I went outside this morning and found this.
This is only 1 of the sweet pepper plants. All of them are this way (aside from the store bought yellow pepper plant. It has FINALLY decided to flower).  Now I just need to wait and see if these will be yellow, red, or what. They look yummy at least.

Long post short.. I am keeping the epsom salt spray around (1 tsp. Epsom salt to 3 cups warm water).  Imagine what we may get next year if I do this earlier in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment