Thursday, June 13, 2013

Surprises

The garden continues to surprise.

On Monday we found flowers on the potatoes. This made Brother and Pooka both very happy since it has to bloom and then it will die back and we will have blue potatoes. Pooka decided that they were very pretty flowers as well. I will admit it is a nice pop of color now.

Blue potato flowers
Then Tuesday I walked past the green easter basket of marigolds. These were planted in "extra" dirt from holes where we planted or seed starters that didn't start. What did I see? Two possible squash plants. I am trying to decide if they are zucchini or the mystery squash, but surprise there are extra plants. Now to move them to something else and then probably restart the marigolds. Again.


Is it Zucchini or mystery squash
This morning, I was doing my morning walkdown of the garden and I found a caterpillar on one of the tomato plants. I didn't have the camera so I didn't get a picture of it, but I did have Pooka grab her bug house and we collected him. My preliminary research is saying this is an armyworm that turns into a moth. I am not sure we are going to let him live in captivity, but he is not going on the tomato plants again.
Not the best picture, but it shows he has probably been out there a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment