Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Another causality of winter.

Well, I finally called it. One of the blueberry bushes just did not seem to want to wake up. I don't know why, but I was tired of waiting. We have one that the buds had started to open and the cold snaps hit, so it waited and is finally reopening. But the one just was not doing anything. 
As you can see, its looking a bit sad
Daddy, Kiddo, Pooka and I went out and bought a new one. We found a nice one that had leafed but not flowered. Hopefully we might get something off it this year. We started to transplant the berry plant and realized 2 things. One was that the pot had tons of standing water. Apparently it was not draining well. The other thing we learned was that the blueberry bush didn't seem dead. it was still springy when you bent the branches. I couldn't just throw it away if it might be savagable, so we transplanted it into a smaller container. This will either give it a place to dry out and wake up, or it will kill it. Either way, it will free up the other pot for something else. Oh, and we made a point to fix the drainage issue for the berry plants. Hopefully they will not have standing water anymore. 

Blueberry given one last chance
I will say Kiddo loved watching the water gush out of the new drainage holes in the pots. Since these are his bushes I made him do his share. Technically right now we have 4 blueberry plants. This may mean we keep 4 plants, or we go down to 3. Its a matter of what the sad blueberry wants to do. Honestly, I would just love everything to green up and prove that it is ready for another year, even if we don't get much out of it. I know the winter was hard, but I keep hoping that I have finally found all the losses and we can move on for the year. 

4 blueberries all in a row.


No comments:

Post a Comment